The Newcastle Herald is reporting that Hungry Jack’s owner Jack Cowin has withdrawn the legal action against Wambie Whopper claiming his company wasn’t a bully for seeking to ‘‘own’’ the word ‘‘whopper’’. It was just misunderstood.
“The decision to withdraw related to our sensitivity to being labelled a ‘bully’ and as a bigger company endeavouring to treat a small business unfairly. That was not our intent.
‘‘Until recently we were unaware the name [Whopper] was being used and had been used for more than 20 years. ‘‘Without forgoing any rights we may have in the future, we have decided it is in everyone’s best interest to leave the status quo in place rather than escalating the situation.’’ Mr Cowin said
The Battle of the Whopper became a social media sensation this week after former owner Maree Dean called for public support on Facebook last weekend.
She was staggered by the response.
By Thursday morning she had 26,000 supporters.
The social media protest catapulted into a public demonstration and media sensation by Wednesday, when even marketing analysts were warning that Hungry Jack’s might have bitten off more than it could chew.
It still had locals hot under the collar on Thursday as they pulled up in the car park outside the shop for their brekkie burgers and egg and bacon rolls.
Maree and Kev Dean, who registered the business name Wambie Whoppers in 1993, sold the business in 2002 and still live in a house behind the shops, were thrilled with the public support and Hungry Jack’s response.
The current owners were ‘‘absolutely beside themselves, they’re so happy’’, Mrs Dean said.
Source: Joanne McCarthy, Newcastle Herald
Joanne has also written an excellent opinion piece titled “A whopping blunder” about the battle of the Wambie Whopper.